Thursday, June 02, 2005

Video Games Summer Session

Second Post 06-02-05

Schools are all out for the summer. But what better way to learn than to play video games. Well not just playing them; making them. To make a game requires a knowledge of art, design, math, programming, and most importantly imagination.


Many of the newer game titles have the tools included allowing the user to mod the game. The "Unreal Tournament" series is one. www.3dbuzz.com is the place to go for such information.


I’m writing this little note because I am learning the basics of game design. I realize that it takes a skilled team of game creators about 2 years to make a game. But the thing about game design is that it offers ways to be creative no matter what level of skill you have. (If you think about it, there could be courses of various game design elements developed for any grade, 1 through 12.)


I am learning the "Torque" game engine now. www.garagegames.com I will report back on ease of use and how well it allows you to create games. Now it seems there is a lot of documentation to read and a scripting language to learn.


My goal is to develop a playable game. I have a few ideas, but need more knowledge of programming and 3d modeling. I will update "Constructors Corner" with the things a make and learn. With any luck it will lead to some good designs and thing to tinker with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home