Monday, October 17, 2005

Coming Out of Video Game Retirement

One Hundred Fortieth Post: Coming Out of Video Game Retirement

Well I tried my network again today. For some reason XP Home will connect to another XP Home but not to a XP Pro. Also the Internet connection sharing keeps disconnecting after the connection has been made.

Today I went for a drive trying to find an Army surplus store. I had did a search on “Google Local” and all these businesses showed up. I found one near me and drive down the road it was supposed to be. From the looks of the area there had never been a surplus store there. So Google Local can find some businesses but it is better to call before taking a trip.

I went into video game retirement back in Nov. 1994 when I got my first computer. I was tired of video games of the day just being side scrollers with the same design. I still had my favorite games, but at the time the best game was “Street Fighter” and many other game companies followed with their clones. The computer had simulators, first person shooters, and strategy games. So that is where I stopped gaming except for the occasional game of Doom 2.

While as was at Basic Training in the Army, the Drill Sargents referred to my generation as the “Nintendo Generation.” This basically meant that instead of riding bikes throughout the neighborhood or hunting or camping, we were glued to the tv playing video games. So we lacked the basic knowledge of Army life had lost useful skills to hours of playing Nintendo.

Video games have changed since I was a kid. I believe that in most areas they have improved. I haven’t focused on a game in years. I mean playing anything other than the first levels. Now, that I have some interest in designing games, I have to be involved in the game to feel the player control. First person shooters are my favorite, but I want to play the classic fighters such as Street Fighter. I’m going to play a game that I can play a few hours and have fun. I’ll be playing the games that I want to design level mods for. Unfortunately I don’t have broadband. I will still be playing the games that people get addicted to. So as of now I am out of video game retirement.

I won’t be trying to beat a 5 to 16 year old at a game of hand and eye coordination. The fact is if your over 18 you just can’t win. In a first person shooter to even the odds you must use strategy. That is why I went into video game retirement is because the games were one dimensional relaying only hand and eye coordination. But the games have changed. So while your busy with that level of Battlefield 1942 or whatever game you like... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home