Thursday, November 10, 2005

Beating Kasparov at his own game

One Hundred Sixty Fourth Post: Beating Kasparov at his own game

Today I picked up “Kasparov Chessmate” at the bargain software display for $9. I played one game and lost. I don’t think I’ll be playing against Kasparov anytime soon. But winning was not the point. The game is fun to play. The graphics aren’t impressive, but the computer is challenging allowing the player to practice skills before facing a real opponent. I haven’t tried it online yet. So far the only thing that I don’t like is that when you review the game, you can’t stop the review and continue to play from that stopped move.

Also on the magazine rack was the “Harris’ Farmer’s Almanac 2006.” These things are great. I remember when I was in grade school the teacher would read some of the stories to the class. Flipping through I found on article on writing children’s books. It seemed like more of an advertisement that how-to article, but there is one point to be seen here. That is an artist or writer collecting a portfolio could easily build a children’s novel in no time. It would be good for an artist to start because the style of art is more forgiving. It lets the artist use their own style and the pictures don’t have to be realistic. They just have to capture the interest of the reader.

I like those Starbucks coffee shops. I was at the one at the grocery store. One frozen coffee $4.50. What a deal. LOL... Anyway I remember hearing that Kasparov was finally defeated by the super computer, but there was controversy. He claims they programmed the computer to match his style and not to play anyone a game of chess. Something to Google anyway.

But until then.... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home