Friday, September 19, 2008

Back to School

Four Hundred Sixth Post: Back to School (20080919)

Well its back to school time for many students. I always liked this time of year. When I was a 7th grader, I couldn’t always get my darn locker open. I still remember the combination: 4-19-8. So I came up with the idea to put all my books into a book bag and carry it around. Long story shortened, I had some big biceps at the end of the school year.

I’m certainly no expert on education, but anyone can tell that the public school system does not work. The more money that gets pumped in the more the school needs. That is why a voucher system would work. Your public school is ranked low in academics then go to a private school. I know it sounds harsh, but the same concept works in colleges and universities. And as an added bonus property taxes will be lowered.

Of course, I don’t see something like this happening any time soon. It has been debated for years. That is why parent involvement and better training for teachers are more reasonable. I recently read “In Code”, by Sarah Flannery who lives in Ireland. The schooling is set up there where you can have 3 years of high school or take a 4th transition year for diverse studies such as working on a project or having an internship with on the job training.

I believe in high school the senior year is pretty much a slow transition where students are visiting colleges, and preparing for graduation. However, what would this transition be better used if it were more like Ireland’s transition year? I know that dedicated students are already doing things like this, but wouldn’t it be better if all students got a helping hand in the right direction?

It is just something to consider. I believe minor changes such as length of class, senior year shortened, and internships would greatly improve public schools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home