Friday, June 24, 2005

Study of Classic Experiments

Twenty Fourth Post: Study of Classic Experiments

I read about an experiment in the book “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Einstein.” The experiment was the first to detect nuclear fission. It was performed by two German scientist: Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassman in Berlin. The experiment was based on a experiment previously performed by a group of Italian scientist lead by Enrico Fermi. The difference of the experiment was that the German team found that the fission reaction produced high amounts of energy.1

My interest is not that of who conducted what experiment. Instead, I wish too learn the steps of the experiment and the results. This experiment deals with radioactive elements and fission. Both of which sound dangerous. But what I want is the information on how to conduct many classic experiments throughout history and modern times. Maybe an electrical experiment by Tesla or to read Einstein’s notes. Basically I want a book that is a collection of experiments that explains the details of the experiment and how it was performed.

If there was a book of classic and modern experiments, the student, who is just learning to conduct experiments, could read and see some of the great scientists' methods used to make new discoveries.

I can’t find a book like this on Amazon. If I did some searching, I maybe could find the experiments explained the way I want, but this would require hours of research. What I want is a simple book that explains many of the all time experiments.

References:

1. “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Einstein,” Moring, Alpha Books, 2000 page 283

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home