Friday, June 17, 2005

The meaning of HOOAH!

Seventeenth Post 06-17-05: The meaning of HOOAH!

In the Army, they use the word HOOAH! But what does it mean? One sodier’s web site defines HOOAH! as:(who-a) adj. (slang used by soldiers) Referring to or meaning anything and everything except "no".1

I believe that HOOAH! origination a way to describe an awesome and intense event or feeling. And you are not supposed to use it in every sentence. HOOAH!, that, HOOAH!

But if the soldier is one who uses HOOAH! all the time, the word can have multiple meanings. It can mean yes, good, ok, roger, and all the other basic meanings. But I have used HOOAH! to answer a yes or no question that had to be answered, with “hooah!,” and my answer was accepted. Later my Sargent commented on my remark. He said that the question had to answered yes or no and I just replied hooah! and they excepted my answer. He said that he wasn’t even sure what that means.

Some soldiers use HOOAH! in every sentence they use. It is just a catchy phrase. But they must learn to limit the phrase for special occasions.

HOOAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home