Saturday, July 09, 2005

Flash Web Sites

Thirty Ninth Post: Flash Web Sites

When trying to create my own Flash enhanced site, I have been viewing other Flash sites. Flash is ideal for the web because of its vector graphics which take up kilobytes of memory comparted to thousands of kilobytes for a raster picture. But here is where the problem lies: even though Flash has small file size it is still large when compared to dial up Internet connections. Many people including myself are still limited to dial up. It stinks but we can’t do anything about it until a broadband technology comes to our area.

Getting back to Flash. I can add Flash content to my site but I have to limit the size of the file. Fortunately Flash can do this, but the webmaster has to be more creative. The webmaster must use their resources wisely. As the Internet connections get fast and faster we will see websites that look exactly like the programs and applications we install to the computer.

Another point to add is there is really no exact guidelines when creating a Flash site. What I mean is the books on Flash teach you how to make buttons, movie clips, animation, and Flash’s programming language Action Script, but they leave out the details on how to combine them into a site. It isn’t hard to figure out but a good reference on site design would come in handy.

If you thought it was easy to come up with good graphics for your site, it is not. As you try it for yourself you will run into some difficult tasks. The main problem is coming up with good original ideas. Don’t let your knowledge of Flash deter you. The hard point is designing the graphics. If you have a lot of creative ideas, just get some books for reference and learn along the way.

I will try and add some Flash to both my websites in the future. I will post any developments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home