Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Story Time 2: First Day at New Unit

Thirty Fifth Post: Story Time 2: First Day at New Unit

It was my first visit to my new Unit the 303rd located in Pittsburgh, PA. My recruiter had driven me there and we were surprised that we had been able to find the building. Today was a good day to visit the Unit because the were going to perform their physical fitness test and swim qualification.

The First Sargent of the Unit took my recruiter aside. Later on when we drove to the stadium, my recruiter told me the First Sargent had taken him aside and ask him if he was sure he wanted me to see what they were going to do in fear that I would not join the Army.

We arrived at Pitt Stadium and I took my first unofficial PT test. I passed pushups and setups, but failed my 2 mile run by less than a minute. The test finished and we went to the pool. They completed their distance test and then it was time for the fun part. I watched as the soldiers were blindfolded and then guided off the diving board. Here they would lift the dummy weapon above their head and plunge into the water blindfolded. Quite an interesting thing to watch. To do it, the soldier needs not only confidence in their swimming ability, but must trust the soldier who is guiding them of the diving board.

When my recruiter and I left, I was impressed by the units activities today. These guys are awesome. Heck some of these guys even jump out of airplanes. So, I left that day with a good impression of my new Unit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home