Monday, October 24, 2005

Product Research

One Hundred Forty Seventh Post: Product Research

I got my Make vol. 04 today. In it was an article with Dean Kamen. I read the article with much interest. My only complaint is that it doesn’t cover enough, but still, in it were very Kamen’s very interesting views toward engineering.

I don’t want to rewrite the essay, but there is one view that I thought stood out from the rest. Kamen said, “If you do “product research,” the product that you end up with will be similar to what already exists.” This is a very simple yet meaning full statement. This is basically saying the designer should tinker with his own ideas and assumptions before referring to current methods. This can be compared to a math problem. You could look into the back of the book for an answer or ask the teacher for the solution, but until you try to solve the problem yourself, you haven’t found the answer.

Today a doe, a female deer, was about 20 ft. from my door. I did take some video through the window and the deer didn’t seem to mind. But whenever I open the door, she took off. I want to get some corn to put out for them. I’ll try to post a small video on Constructors’ Corner.

But until then... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home