Saturday, November 12, 2005

Cross Hatching

One Hundred Sixty Sixth Post: Cross Hatching

I would like to learn how to ink comics. Of course my drawing isn’t the best, but inking is an art form altogether. It is a skill to learn. I like black and white comics. If you are working with limited printing capabilities, inked artwork is the way to go. I have been looking at older drawings from the “Farmer’s Almanac”, “Mad Scientists Club,” to old “Popular Mechanics.” The one thing that stands out in these drawings is the use of cross hatching. The artist is probably using one size tech pen and outlining and cross hatching (cross hatch is cris cross pen strokes) the dark areas. It is a simple technique that gives some good results. Look for it in classic publications.

Today’s trend in comics is the Japanese anime style of comics. That is some interesting art. I prefer the traditional American style though. Companies like Marvel and DC have all the great super heroes I grew up with. Greatest super hero ever is Spiderman. Greatest super villain ever is Dr. Doom. Of course this is one great debate.

I also miss the good cartoons such as “He Man”, “Transformers”, “G.I. Joe” and others. But I guess I’m not a kid anymore. But when I write stories or draw my own drawings, it will be influenced by the heroes real and imaginary that I grew up with. And of course, so will yours.

But until then... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home