Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Math Problem

Two Hundred Thirty Fourth Post: A Math Problem

I have a math problem that I have been tinkering with. It is about describing a circle with a square. I know the problem has a solution because I have seen it solved 2 ways. Yes, it is the “arched doorway” problem again. I know I describe the problem a lot, but there is just so much it can do in describing circles and maybe even curves.

I figure since the solution has been solved both by using calculus and using geometry, there should be a way to set up an equation. There are many equations that describe this relationship, but they all rely on knowing the radius. The radius can be written in the form of a linear equation, so maybe for solving for the matrices would result in a solution set. Unfortunately I haven’t completely studied linear algebra. However it is still one area to explore.

I still have the strong belief that there is a simple equation in which the radius can be unknown, that will describe the arc. I have some ideas that I will present on Constructors Corner in the following weeks. I still have to post my “intro to trig” VTM. I will try to keep all VTMs less than 5 minutes for simplicity and file size requirements. So check out http://www.constructorscorner.com/ for the “arched doorway problem” (already on the site under www.constructorscorner.com/ideas_and_gadgets/math/math_home.htm) and check back for VTMs in the following weeks. So until I organize my math work... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home