Thursday, January 12, 2006

Teaching Points

Two Hundred Twenty Seventh Post: Teaching Points

I have tried to create an easy trig lesson because a lot of the problems I post on Constructors Corner use trig. But I have run into some teaching problems. Number one is to have a clear, concise discussion of the problem. Remember I usually only solve problems. A write up is as close as I get to teaching them. I find that while it is nice to have a step by step procedure to solve a problem, I often approach my problem in a different way that relies less on a given set of steps. This leads to a more difficult way to explain the problem. Instead of steps I just take the given theory (when I am using a text book) and just ask myself which law best fits the problem, but this must be checked on how the theory would describe the given problem. You must ask yourself what does the theory mean and how does it relate to the problem.

The second point is if you are giving a lecture you must not only present the problem you must describe it and tell what it means. Often it helps to have a problem that shows the theory demonstrated. Both are good points. And I am going to try to use them in my own VTM. I am going to start with a simple one, and I am going to need feedback telling me if the message was understood. I hope to post it within the next week.

But talking about teaching brings me back to memories of grade school. My friend’s lunch was always packaged in tin foil. There is so much you can do with tin foil. It can be bent to formed tin foil men or crunched into a ball to throw. The most interesting use is when you rub 2 pieces of foil together. It produces ink.

After lunch was recess. I see that some schools have done away with recess. It is such an important part of school not only to exercise and have fun, but to socialize. Many studies show that “play” is serious stuff. It use to be the coolest part of the school day. When I was in school we’d play football or climb the monkey bars. There has just got to be a recess.

But until I make my VTM... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home