Sunday, April 30, 2006

Contest Starting in May

Three Hundred Thirty Fifth Post: Contest Starting in May

Alright so I don’t have all the details ready, but as of May 1, 2006, I am going to have a contest. Now I probably should put some time into the rules, but I think it is better I just test this and see how it works. Stay posted to Constructor’s Corner for details.

Today I was just farting around. I set up the scroll saw. I changed blades without really paying attention to the blade. The one I put in had pins on both sides. So I spent some time looking at the bottom lock trying to figure out how the pins fit in. I turned the tensions knob and the bottom holder didn’t appear to open. The instructions in the manual were vague and didn’t show a picture of the bottom lock. After a while I kept looking at the top lock and noticed the bottom was the same just upside down. I unscrewed the tension. It opened just enough for the blade to push through. Then all that had to be done was pull the blade up locking the pins in the V- notch. This notch can’t be seen from the top and the bottom view is also blocked.

The point is a simple thing like this can really seem simple once you know the technique, but it can slow you work down. That is why you take your car to get fixed it cost a lot even if it takes 5 minutes. I have heard the story that we are paying for what the person knows not what they did. Changing the scroll saw blade takes less than 30 seconds. That is once you know the proper technique. Remember that someone has had to think through this technique just as you had to learn it. They did all that hard work when the machine was being designed. So doing something simple is tied into invention. The goal is to think like the designer.

Well until you enter my contest... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home