Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Group Members Needed

Three Hundred Seventy Fourth Post: Group Members Needed

A while ago I posted a poll on Constructors Corner about who would be interested in forming a math group. Well my fellow Pythagoreans it is time to share knowledge. Well the group is more about sharing knowledge than secret societies. In all seriousness, this will just be informal group of people who want to share their math knowledge, ask questions, read new ideas, and learn. It is like an open source of mathematics.

Who would want to join such group? Anyone is welcome no matter what their skill level. My favorite subjects are trigonometry and geometry, though sometimes I use a little calculus. Most of the math that I have posted to Constructors Corner (see math hunch) is geared to the high school student to the college undergraduate. But that is just the thing, up until now the math was based with what I was working on with no outside input. That is what the Wiki is for. It will offer more questions and ideas from different points of view.

What Wiki is that? I decided that creating a Wiki would allow the best way for the group to communicate and share ideas. The Wiki we will be using is Media Wiki. It is the same Wiki software that on http://www.wikipedia.org/ runs on.

This leads to community input. Of the 8 people who expressed interest in a group I need members to help manage the site. It can be as little as viewing the Wiki 3 times a week. All members will be able to edit. Also, I need input on the way information should be organized, what topics we should cover, and other design elements.

So if you are interested in joining the Wiki no matter what your skill or role: email me at trurlthe_constructor@hotmail.com with the subject “math group input.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home