Saturday, August 27, 2005

Game Making Learning Curve

Eighty Ninth Post: Game Making Learning Curve

Making games involves concept art, 3D modeling, level design, and programming. All are so vast that each has to be learned separately. Each is its own field. So where do us amateur game builds start to learn.

First the concept art requires knowledge of traditional drawing and art. Level design require some imagination combined with basic architecture design skills. 3D modeling requires both art, imagination, design, and knowledge of how to work the 3D computer program. Programming is probably the most difficult (for most people).

Yesterday I started to study 3D modeling more in depth. I already know the interface of 3D Studio Max, I just need to learn modeling techniques. Extrude, spline, mesh, polygon, and patch are all modeling techniques that I have a basic understanding of. But, there is one technique I have yet to learn and that is called nurbs. I clicked to edit nurbs and a menu with 30 choices appeared. The first modeling techniques I learned are pretty much easy to start modeling right away. So I will learn nurbs in the later chapters.

Programming is another art in itself. Haven taking some high mathematics I pictured games as being highly related to physics and calculus. The truth is that they are, but there is more to it than formulas. There is a reason the call them “programming languages.” Programming is a language itself. Computing higher mathematics is cumbersome. Usually there is a plug in that lets the user do the calculations, but programming is more than math. It is based on logic and structure. I can be fun, but it has a high learning curve to master and be able to write the programs that we use every day.

I will post what I learn on the blog. I am interested in a sculpting tool that lets the artist model in 3DS Max as if they were using a block of clay. It is something that Maya has also. Until then: May the Creative Force be with You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home