Monday, January 30, 2006

Fifth Post: Fan Fiction

Two Hundred Forty Fifth Post: Fan Fiction

I have been looking at the book “Old and New Unsolved Problems,” by Klee and Wagon. It is a little difficult to follow because complete problems are condensed into a 4 page description. But this isn’t a test prep book, it is for researching and trying new methods. So with a little research anyone can understand the basics of the problems.

One problem that has me interested is the question: Can a circle be decomposed into finitely many sets that can be rearranged to form a square? This is a volume problem similar to filling up a circle with water than finding the square that will hold that exact amount of water. Admittedly I have no clue about solving this problem, but I bet its solution is informative. I haven’t looked at the answer. It was solved by a man named Miklos Laczkovich. I think this problem may have many practical applications, but I need to research it more.

In the December 2005 Popular Mechanics I missed an article that described a proposed mission to Mars by Buzz Aldrin. I have found my misplaced copy and read the article. It is interesting proposing the solution to set many docking stations in orbit around Earth and Mars. That way the time would be decreased and the resources such as fuel and oxygen would be available. It is worth checking out, but the concept sounds impossible with which I believe would be two many tasks such as docking having to much a chance for error. But these guys have been busy calculating all the trajectories and they are well respected professionals.

But my biggest find of the day was a fan fiction site. That site is about fan fiction to no other than Macgyver. Here is the link. Check it out: http://www.uplinktech.net/macgyver/fanfic/index.html,
But until astronauts float weightlessly on there trip back home from Mars... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home