Sunday, January 29, 2006

Rediscovering Woodworking

Two Hundred Forty Fourth Post: Rediscovering Woodworking

One thing about wood is that it is very versatile and easy to form making it especially good for building. But with all the modern metals and plastic composites, it is still one of the cheapest building material. Also it has a long history where many designs and plans have already been figured out allowing for easy research, and it makes the knowledge of the craft easier to learn.

So why am I interested in woodworking. The fact is that it is just interesting. I love looking at all the plans, many of which are free. I am not much of a builder. When I build a model I like the plans, I like the design, the only problem is that I don’t like the building as much as the design. Sometimes when building something you get to see what you designed or researched reach its potential as finally being built. I like that too, but I am so slow on the building part. Admittedly, I have had many unfinished projects.

But this time the project is different. All I have to do is measure and cut following the plans that cost a dollar. I will be building a picnic bench. If I get good enough I may attempt something more challenging.

There is just so much information about woodworking. I am surprised designers are able to find new projects to write about in Popular Mechanics. I think that Popular Mechanics has covered everything, but still cover much more each month.

Some woodworking sites I have found are: http://www.freeww.com/ ; http://www.woodcentral.com/ ; http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/plans.html

But until you build your bench that folds into a picnic table... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home