Monday, January 23, 2006

Math as its Own Language

Two Hundred Thirty Eighth Post: Math as its Own Language

We all heard of math being explained to be its own language. In order to understand it one must know the syntax and some rules. That isn’t to say that you can’t do some very powerful and useful calculations only knowing the basics.

On Constructors’ Corner I try to explain the math as descriptively and simple as I can. However, I can see if someone did not have a little math background it could be confusing. Don’t let that deter you though. There are some interesting things in those problems and anyone can pick up a little by following along.

I myself have done a little reading on linear algebra and differential equations lately and realized while reading examples on the web how much easier it is to use a text book. The online examples are invaluable, but often require previous knowledge of the subject. This is where a textbook would break it into simpler, sequential steps.

But I must say not knowing all of math is what makes it fun. I get to use my imagination and experiment with the new theories and problems. Mastering math not only involves learning formulas and theory, it is about thinking through a problem sort of like an artistic way of manipulating equations.

Just in case you are interested on the problems on Constructors Corner, I am working on a test math VTM. I know how to get a reasonably small files size, it is the teaching part that is a challenge. I am trying to explain a math concept in 3 minutes to an audience that might not have a mathematical background. I know I have been slow, but I will try to get the VTM finished.

As for math, it has had many contributors and developed over thousands of years. So until we make our own little contributions... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home