Sunday, February 19, 2006

Wiki

Two Hundred Sixty Fifth Post: Wiki

I am still thinking about starting a Wiki. A Wiki is a place for owners and users alike to create and change new web pages to form one interactive site. You may be familiar with Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia created by its users. There is free software out there if you can figure out how to install and use it. I have tried to install the web Blog software, “Movable Type,” without success. I uploaded the files but there was a problem in the setup. I am hopping the Wiki software is a little easier to install.

I am also studying CSS. These are templates for the web pages on a site. So far I have seen how text and backgrounds are formatted, but I need to learn how to make one, standard menu with links and everything the same on all the new pages. This way I would be able to change on menu on dozens of pages.

The one problem with web pages is the formatting standards vs. web browsers. There are standards, but in order to make technological improvements there is going to be a varying compliance to the standards. This forces the webmaster to learn new techniques and when you are starting out there is just so much to learn. But sometimes having a little know how is cool when you can use it to create some great pages. Until I figure out the Wiki software and how to make a CSS template... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home