Saturday, May 27, 2006

Network Solutions

Three Hundred Sixty Second Post: Network Solutions

I’m finished planning my network. After 3 days of experimenting with different settings and typing in WEP code after coded I’ve tried my last attempt. Tomorrow I will hook up an access point directly into the router using a land line. From there I will run a coax cable from the access point to an outdoor antenna.

Originally I was going to try and bridge the access point with another access point, but as I learned from the boards of www.scienceforums.net this generally doesn’t work. You have to have a router that repeats the signal. The settings are tedious and it would be hard to configure it.

I have tried the bridging setting and there is no way to tell if the router you are connected to is picking up the other routers signal. There is also an IP address problem.

Networking has gotten much easier. The routers are pretty much plug and play. Then you set the security. The trouble is when you try to extend the signal through a longer distance. That is when you have to get creative and start learning all the settings.

But until tomorrow when I hope the antenna works... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home