Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Equations that equal

Forty Second Post: Equations that equal

I have been trying to solve a square. It would be easy if it weren’t for the fact that when I substitute variables the two equations equal. This is basic algebra and I still can’t solve it. It is frustrating.

With the equations being equal when solving yields 0 = 0 or x = y. Is this a new problem and the answer is no mathematicians have encountered this before and it is quite common to find an equation that yields infinite many solutions. The solution to the problem would be to find a second equation that explains the variables in a different way and then solve, but the problem lies in finding those equations.

I am going to add this problem to my site in the future. Maybe I'm not working in the right direction for the problem. That wouldn’t be uncommon. It is seldom to find the right answer to a math problem upon first inspection. It is a trial and error process. Hopefully it will be on the site within the following weeks, but for now it is “back to the drawing board.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home