Friday, July 29, 2005

How the “Torque Engine” can turn anyone into a game maker

Fifty Ninth Post: How the “Torque Engine” can turn anyone into a game maker

Around 2 months ago I posted about game development. Since then I really haven’t done much with it. Instead I have been working on math and some drawing. Also I am doing a little writing, but I think now is the time to take a break from those projects and try out some game design. I am going to start with 3D modeling which I know a little about. Then I might take an inexperienced game team and try to build different game elements such as models, level design, and game scripts. I posted an area to vote on Constructors Corner about wanting to join a game team, but no one voted. Still I will share my creations and maybe spark some interests.

Well there are a lot of level design tools available to the mod maker. There are complete game engines such as “Torque” that offer reasonable learning curves for game making. It is the video game makers dream to design their own game. The amateur video game maker’s dream is to one day make a great, revolutionary game that has the effect as a Mario or Zelda game.

So you got Torque and have a 3D program and a C++ compiler. Combined with Photoshop that is all the major tools you need to make the game. One game that I have seen that uses the Torque engine is “Block Land.” The game is free possibly because it is based on Lego pieces, a copyrighted asset and until it has a license cannot be sold. But the game is great and lets the user see what can be done with Torque. So in the following months there probably be more game related ideas and projects on Constructors Corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home