Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Real World Design Problem with a Truck

One Hundredth Post: Real World Design Problem with a Truck

Today I experienced a real world design problem. I had to lift with another person a refrigerator into the back of my truck. There is ramps available for pickup trucks, but lifting it wasn’t the problem. The tricky part is secure the refrigerator in an upright position sturdy enough to drive on the road.

I don’t know about delivery trucks. They must have straps on the wall of the trailer. But it is different with pickup trucks. The bed has lots of space, but the tie downs are lower in the bottom of the bed. That makes it difficult to tie a refrigerator that is high.

I am not saying that it can’t be done without ties. In fact, that is how I did it. There is a design project in finding a better way. I put some rope around the refrigerator that connected the ties to those ropes. The whole time I was thinking that there had to be an easier way.

So with this experience I propose a design problem of finding the best way to load and secure a refrigerator to a truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home