Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wiki Search

Two Hundred Eighty Ninth Post: Wiki Search

I have continued my search for a Wiki. There are free hosted ones, but there is always the chance of getting deleted. Also, there are free software, the same that powers Wikipedia. I am having trouble with the install. I’ve got the files installed on Uniwakka but it runs too slow. Wikipedia loads fast, so Uniwakka must have some settings conflicting. I am not an experienced programmer and for the features I want, I would not be able to easily customize it. However, I have found a paid host that I think is the best. The only problem is the price.

It would be the same software that powers Wikipedia. I need the hosted, because I am on dial-up and don’t have the option of backing up the Wiki. With everyone creating pages it, it is just fast, more reliable to go with a hosted wiki. However the Wiki costs. I have choosen http://www.myoo.de/ because of the capabilities and familiar interface of the same software that powers Wikipedia. However at $180 a year it is pricey. So if I attempt this project I must be sure that people will participate.

Here is the list I used when choosing: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wiki_Science:How_To_Start_A_Wiki#Paid_wiki_hosting

There are also other issues such as the credit for what work. Also if we are working as a group what concepts and work on problems should stay within the group until we are ready to publish our work.

Those are advanced topics though. We need to get some ideas and participation first. Those questions will take care of themselves. The more participation and ideas we have the better. Though it could involve into something bigger, the wiki wouldn’t be professional. That is unless the group decided it should be.

However, before I can do this I need to subscribe to the wiki. If you have any name ideas email them to me. But until we solve the next theorem together... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home