Sunday, March 05, 2006

Installing Wiki’s

Two Hundred Seventy Ninth Post: Installing Wiki’s

I spent about 3 hours today uploading Uniwakka to the website. Tech support said they fixed the upload error, however there still seems to be some bugs. Installing the wiki wasn’t that hard once I got it uploaded (I’m using dial-up). So now I have Uniwakka installed, but there is just one problem: it is moving too slow! I don’t know whether it is my host servers or something didn’t install correctly. But it is not usable.

My options are to try another wiki or contact my tech support. Uniwikka is no longer supported. But this brings up a question I have had. I often wondered: “what one is expected to know to be a web designer?” I suppose if you can take the given information and put it into a useable site, you have done what was needed. However, there are just so many technologies and programs to learn. Things like formatting and templates, XTML, CSS, PHP, databases, etc. A person could earn a degree just in web design.

I think traditional art meets a lot of technical knowledge. I believe if you knew the art, the computer programs were just a tool or a means to complete the art so much that the graphic artist should concentrate on fundamental art skills than learning tech skills. But with websites the tech side is a skill of its own. A person can know art, but would be limited by the technology if they did not learn the tech side.

It is still relatively easy to create a site. Utilizing the latest techniques is where the tech side comes into play. For me I started simple and still use a basic design for my sites. However when I want to use a different technique or try installing a wiki, it is a learning experience. It takes a lot of reading and tinkering. It is also hard to learn the techniques overnight. But once it is done at posted on the web that is where the hard work is reflected.

But until we all become webmasters and have are own web design business... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home