Saturday, March 04, 2006

Spring is Near

Two Hundred Seventy Eighth Post: Spring is Near

Well it is still cold here in Pennsylvania. But spring is on the way. I prefer spring and fall to summer and winter because of the hot humid days of summer and the cold days of winter. It has been a mild winter however. But this is the time when outside work is about to begin.

Unless you had a heated garage or shop, the main thing you did outside was shoveling snow. Spring marks the beginning of getting ready for warm weather and finally getting outdoors. It is the time for outdoor projects. All the magazines are filled with articles from “The Family Handyman” to “Popular Mechanics.”

I have a few projects that I want to share. I am going to attempt building a picnic bench. It is a simple one from a pattern book. I also want to build a track for may train. I have a lot of projects, but I have a few computer projects to finish first. My web host is having technical problems. I can’t upload any new content. However the content that is there can still be viewed. Go figure.

One question with all the projects is: Do you prefer projects after the aid of modern technology such as the Net and software programs, or would you prefer growing up before (or wanting to grow up before) the modern technology? If you grew up before the Internet and video games you probably remember going outside to play and doing stuff like making little cabins, climbing trees, and exploring the woods. You would fix your bicycle and going to the library was fun.

What about the stereotype of today’s youth with the Internet and video games. They have all the information at their disposal but are content to spend hours playing video games. (I myself spent hours a day playing video games as a kid.) Should the kids today be forced to go outside and play.

I grew up in the middle of the technology. As my Drill Sargents would say my generation is the “Nintendo Generation.” I think I would know a lot more computer stuff now if I had been introduced to it at a younger age. However, I would have missed out on other activities and learning experiences.


So what do you think? But until Microsoft finishes taking over the world... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home