Thursday, March 02, 2006

Math Error

Two Hundred Seventy Sixth Post: Math Error

I know that quite a few visitors have probably seen the “parabola circle key” problem I put on the website 02-15-06. And if you followed a long and know I little bit about math, you may see some errors in how the problem works.

The logic is there. It seems like a creative way to approach the problem and there is much to be left to the thought. However, it still needs some major tweaking. When I start the math journal I will list the steps I took to solve the “arched doorway problem” and the “parabola circle key” problem. I will list the ideas that worked along with those that didn’t. Why? Because math is as much about the idea as it is the result.

The parabola problem has served it purpose even though we are not done with it. It got the visitors to Constructor’s Corner thinking. Presenting a math problem which is new and documented enough that every visitor to Constructor’s Corner can work on it. But we are far from finished. I would like to see as much participation as possible.

I have tried many attempts at a solution to the arch doorway problem until something worked. Originally if I could have solved it while as was taking a trigonometry class at college, I would have got an automatic A. The teacher, himself, was puzzled how to solve the problem not using calculus if no radius was given. I had good hunches back then, but lacked time to solve the problem before the final exam. I choose to study for the exam as opposed to working on a problem that had proven difficult if not impossible by elementary mathematics.

But if there is one thing I learned from that trig class is the art of approaching in depth math problems. Sure we learned all the theories and proofs. But trig is more about the application and discovery. That is why I never gave up on finding a solution. And it will probably led me to many more.

But until we fix the parabola key... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home