Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Rolling Ruler

Two Hundred Seventy Fifth Post: Rolling Ruler

I was reading select chapters from “Graphics for Engineers” by James H. Earle and on page 422 there is a pictorial drawing of handwheel assembly for an orbit workshop. This thing was meant for space! All I get to see is a small 3" by 2" drawing? This book is pretty good. I like how the book starts describing the design process in the first 5 chapters. You usual start with the basics such as the tools and never get to the fun stuff. However the only drawback of the book is that it is to condensed. Something is explain and is interesting but there isn’t much in depth description.

But speaking of orbital workshop tools, I am reminded of a tool I used to use in math class. It was called the “rolling ruler.” I was a cool math student because I had the best ruler in the class. They were advertised on tv and cost $12 to $20 dollars. I got mine for $1 at Big Lots, a closeout store. The rolling ruler can be found at: http://www.draftingdeals.com/draftingdeals/finditem.cfm?itemid=7324

Although it was visually stunning. I did not no how to use it. It was supposed to do everything including drawing circles. I never practiced or read the instruction book and eventually my ruler broke because it was so bulking carrying it from class to class.

I looked it up and Staedtler still makes one for $5. Drawing tools are just like hand tools. You can invent a drawing tool that draws everything, but in the end it usually doesn’t improve upon the basics like a compass. Even if the invention is proven useful, you would have to have a good reason for someone to learn how to use it. Of course that doesn’t mean a pair of vice grips aren’t invented once in a while. Still drawing tools tend to remain simple and intuitive.

So until we figure out how to actually use this rolling ruler... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home