Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Tinkering with Ideas

Two Hundred Eighty First Post: Tinkering with Ideas

I’m working on some math problems now. I now they are not always correct. This is going to be more of scratch work than a solved problem. I want you, the reader, to follow and see what may be some good ideas.

Today I was putting up a porch swing. The main leg’s hole threads were stripped. I thought for sure that we would have to repackage the pieces and return them to the store. But instead we went to the hardware. The options were to find a bolt that would stay, but might not fit right or tap a complete new hole. We were sent to the Auto Parts. The guy there came up with the solution to re-thread the hole with a slightly bigger bolt size. We tried it and it worked.

Not an exciting story but it has a point: There is no easy solution to stripped threads or stripped grips. It is common in furniture bought at the store and assembled. If the furniture is taken apart and resembled many times the bolts and the bolt slots wear. It is a hard problem to solve. The manufactures keep the assemble simple. It is not meant to be moved or made to support unbalanced weight.

I don’t have any clue on how to easily solve the problem of a striped thread. However I thing the problem of a striped bolt head or grip can be solved if there is enough space about the bolt for tools.

Stay posted for more. I will be updating the math scratch work first. But until all the furniture is assembled... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home