Monday, May 08, 2006

Hand Tools

Three Hundred Forty Third Post: Hand Tools

Well I got plans for a picnic table that folds into a bench from a garage sell a few years ago. The plans are nice and simple. It comes with a template for the holes and cuts. I believe the materials cost about $40 to $50 for to benches (one table). But these things are in high demand. Everyone wants me to build them one. Unfortunately for them I am a slow carpenter. I am still cutting out pieces. But a picnic table can cost between $200 and $400 dollars. So I guess they’re have to wait for me.

The nice thing about building this table is that I have a good saw. Every since I was a kid we have had junky hand saws. Your muscles would burn and wear out before the cut was half way through. This time a got a Stanley hardened steel teeth that cuts through a 2X8 with ease.

We are going to have to buy more than a saw though. Our hold tool box has tools that are over 35 years old. My dad has hit them with hammers, pried with them, and improvised and used the tools in ways they weren’t intended. They have tar and rust. Somehow, I don’t know how, they still get the job done.

I did have to buy a $30 set of screw drivers however. We had new ones but the slots stripped. Also the length of the screw drivers were to long or to short. I just wanted a regular size screw driver.

Anyway if I could mass produce these benches I could make a lot of money. (LOL) But until I finally assemble the bench... May the Creative Force be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home