Friday, December 23, 2005

Robot Takeover

Two Hundred Seventh Post: Robot Takeover

Today we exchanged gifts with my sister and her family. They got me a VEX robot kit. The thing is no simple gadget. It is intended for teens and adults. But as my sister gave it to me she said that I would be thinking of ways to take over the world with my robots.

I think if we want to create a robot like Data on STNG we are going to have to build something that we don’t understand how it works. That something is the subconscious. Think of a computer program it can organize, compare, and calculate data only based on a given set of instructions. To think it would need a way to organize all the data that it once processed and use that to form instructions of its own. This is no simple task and is why robotics is a young science.

In the book the “Cyberiad” (which is where I get the name of my site) Trurl and Klapaucius create a demon of the second. This demon creates new ideas and gives knowledge about things in the universe. That does not mean, however, that the ideas and knowledge are useful. So what does this prove. It proves that you need not only to create ideas and knowledge you have to organize them and see which ones “fit” together. So maybe when a person is intelligent or witty they just have an interesting way of organizing there ideas, dreams, and the things they learn.

But there is more to us than that. Many ideas such as Christmas have so many meaning and mean different things to different people. It is a concept that is difficult to describe and yet carries so much meaning. But don’t think about it too hard. It is time to have some fun. So wishing you the best holiday.... May the Creative Force and Holiday Spirit be with You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home