Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Better Snap Placement

One Hundred Fourteenth Post: Better Snap Placement

I have just about finished Chapter 3 of “Mastering Unreal Technology: The Art of Level Design.” So far the first 3 chapters have been excellent. The only problem I had were some of the lines not showing up on some of the tutorial’s pictures. Other than the content is excellent.

The first thing I found that could be improved in the editor is a snap function and a place to type in relative coordinates. I am not sure if these options are available yet. I know this is a level design software and not a CAD program, but relative coordinates would make lining up the brushes (brush make buildings) easier. I still need to read a lot more before I’m through with the book.

Another thing that I came across today is the card trading game “Magic The Gathering.” The game is now online. I am not familiar with the game, but I am aware of the fantasy art. There are a lot of interesting creatures, heroes, and animals painted on these cards. But what if there was a game that instead of buying cards, the player would make there own. Meaning the player would draw his card and scan or draw it into the computer and print his own deck. To keep things fair there would be a ranking or voting or set of given stats to reference that would make up the creature’s attack and defense abilities.

There are a lot of options here. You would have player creating there own game. The only problem is that with players making there own cards, the only way to make money is to host the server that is the meeting place of the players and charge a monthly fee.

I don’t know. See where you can take the idea and until then.... May the Creative Force be with You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home